Monday, April 29, 2013

Well, this past Friday the car failed smog spectacularly...



I started in on the FI tune up guide I posted last week this Saturday hoping that it might take care of the cold idle and emissions problems. I had purchased a new fuel and air filter while shopping in the morning and since I have zero experience working on cars I thought I would start with something easier and replace the filters.

First thing, the air filter. I went to pull out the old one and discovered that the air filter housing was cracked and missing a clamp....
From the looks of it a significant portion of the air had been bypassing the filter. I managed to rig up a temporary clip and seal the crack with some silicon. The shape of it is still a little messed up, but I feel like for the moment 95%+ of the air is coming in through the filter like it is supposed to. I'll probably need to replace it soonish, but it doesn't seem like a top priority at the moment.

After I changed the air filter it was on to fuel. I figured I would follow "Step 5 Fuel Pump and Fuel Pressure Regulator" in the guide I'm trying to use (http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetronic.htm), since that's where it has you change the fuel filter. It took me a minute to find, but I did manage to swap the fuel filter painlessly. After that I used the compression gauge to test Fuel Pressure, 35psi on the dot. Testing the fuel pump led me to messing with the air flow meter (AFM). Long story short I discovered that the AFM appears to have been dropped at some point, see in the picture how the seat for the intake hose has been bent...
Also discovered that the clockwork part of the AFM wasn't working right, the bar that was suppose to flip the fuel pump switch had never been turning it off, so the fuel pump had been running even with the key in the halfway position. This is how it was yesterday after I first fixed it...


I fussed with it again today, so it's ever so slightly different. I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to be =(. Anyways, after fixing it the cold idle problem disappeared! First problem solved.
 
I also bondoed the bend in the AFM...
 Not sure if it really matters, but hey probably won't hurt.

I cleaned the aux air valve (AAV), but a little testing before hand seemed to indicate that it was functioning okay anyways....

  

I spent most of today cleaning the intake hoses and checking for leaks (all seemed okay). I also received my silicon hoses, so I swapped a couple of the easy ones. Also checked the coolant temperature sensor (OK) and adjusted the idle. The idle screw seems very loose, I'm hoping it doesn't wiggle itself around too much.

This evening after putting everything back together I started it back up and noticed this...

 Taste test made me think maybe it had some coolant in it. Coolant coming out of the exhaust sounds like really bad news (cracked block or head gasket??). However, I've never seen this before (I would have noticed, I'm always checking), the oil looks clean (not cloudy), the anti-freeze looks clean (no oil that I can see), and it appears to have stopped dripping even after a couple hours cooling off then firing it up again. I'm hoping that this was just some fluke related to my moving stuff around, but I'll keep my eye on it.

I'm also hoping whatever I did to the AFM helped with the emissions... it did seem to help with the idle (maybe it was flooding the engine somehow??)




  

No comments:

Post a Comment